If They Know Just ONE of Us...

(Posted by Nick, '11)
So this week has been a little odd for me. A lot of things have been going down in my life, new developments happening every day. This week, my second cousin who's also my sister's godmother send me a Facebook message:

"No bullshit here goes. Are you gay or bi and do your folks know? Been dying for confirmation for a while, I don't care but am damn curious."

I responded with something along the lines of "uhm yeah I'm gay duh..." and we had a lovely conversation about how she somehow "knew" before I even did and whatnot... But that's not what's really interesting about this whole thing.

After one of her messages, her Facebook status changed to read: "_________ thinks the Catholic Church needs to get with the times. We need a change. And they wonder why people stop going!"

She'd never posted anything like this before, and this activist message made me think of the concept that Harvey Milk promoted while campaigning against Prop 6: if they know ONE of us, they're more likely to rally with us than rally against us. Life is full of surprises, no?

Happy sunny weekend!!
Nick

0 comments: