There's Only Two Types of People in this World...

(Posted by Nick, '11)
The ones that entertain, and the ones that observe.

Or so says Britney Spears, whose performance on Good Morning America I went to see on Tuesday! It. Was. FANTASTIC. TRULY beyond words. It was possibly the defining moment of my life thus far. Sounds silly, I know, but I've loved her music for a loooooooooong time (like since my sister got "Oops... I Did It Again" for her birthday one year) and the energy in the tent (it was appropriately at the Big Apple Circus in Lincoln Center) was out of control! At 7:00am! I know! Crazy!

I won tix last week through her website, in case you were wondering.

But though the performance was astoundingly awesome, that's not what this post is about. What struck me as intriguing was the composition of the crowd. Though there were exceptions to this generalization, the audience was mostly composed of teenage to twenties-age girls/women and gay men. Here at Vassar, it's no secret that Britney is a superstar among those of the homosexual male persuasion. Why?

I mean, sitting about 3 seats down from me were two adorable gay guys - one of them was critiquing Lynne Spears' outfit (Brit's entire fam except Jamie Lynn was there), saying that she looked GREAT. The other responded "WELL she better look good - she gave birth to GOD!"

What is it that makes female pop stars so appealing to gay men? Britney is perhaps the ultimate for my generation - but let's not forget Madonna, Cher, and (dare I say it) the up-and-coming Miley Cyrus. I honestly don't have an answer for this - what are your thoughts??

Personally, the reason I love Britney is her songs are infectious, and she's so widely renowned and famous that I find her star power very appealing and attractive. How 'bout you?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I finally watched For the Record tonight!! it's funny how many impressions she does, she's a lot weirder than i imagined. she makes almost as many faces as I do. i love her! i'm so jealous you saw her.

Nick said...

You would be. =P