If I were a drag queen my named would be Jade DeLady

(posted by guest blogger Megan Habermann, Assistant Director for Campus Activities)
I went to my first full on drag show when I was in college. I had a date with me, that I’m surprised didn’t leave me for Poison Waters, because she was out to steal my man. I had seen snippets of drag shows before, and plenty of drag queens in various gay pride parades that I went to throughout my life, but the show was still like nothing I had ever seen. There’s just something about a drag show, the lights, the dresses, the legs that I only dream of achieving on the elliptical machine. It’s magical like Disney, but with way more inappropriate jokes.

I was pleased to discover in my first year at Vassar in the Campus Activities Office that QCVC did a drag show. I was even more excited to find out that it was a pageant (one of my guiltiest pleasures), and that students participated. I was prepared to be wowed.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the sheer popularity of the event. The event organizer (LGBTQ Center intern Rasheed Gonga) wasn’t either. And the past two years the event has beyond packed the house. Each year we look at each other with shock and glee and are startled by the sheer volume of it. It’s amazing, the outpouring of support from students, the fighting for seats, and the production of it all. With extremely limited resources, QCVC creates an amazing show every year that impresses those of us that think they can no longer be impressed.

This has been one of my favorite (shh don’t tell) events to watch grow throughout my three years here. I can’t wait to see what they have up their long satin gloves this year. I would have loved to see something like this at my school; Vassar students are extremely lucky to have such a great event each year. I hope you can find a seat this Spring!

0 comments: