Let's Talk

(Posted by Eva, '12)

November is National Runaway Prevention Month (NRPM). According to the National Runaway
Switchboard, NRPM is “a public education campaign spearheaded by the National Runaway Switchboard (NRS) and the National Network for Youth (NNY) to:
* Increase the awareness of the issues facing runaways, and
* Educate the public about the solutions and the role they can play in preventing youth from running away“

Back in Chicago, I volunteered at the National Runaway Switchboard (NRS). I started out at NRS as a liner, one of the people on the phone line who talked directly to our callers. I was also elected as the Youth Representative to their Board of Directors. I spent over a year and a half with NRS, going through forty hours of training, working on the lines two hours a week, going to board meetings, and helping out at press conferences and other events. If there was one thing that I learned at my time at NRS is was that the runaway issue in the United States is a huge issue that is often ignored and overlooked. Between 1.6 and 2.8 million youth run away each year. These youth are at higher risk for suicide and depression. They often have or will face physical or sexual abuse, whether at home or on the streets. The purpose of National Runaway Prevention Month is not only to raise awareness of the runaway issue, but also to raise awareness of available resources and prevention techniques.

Over the next month I will post videos, facts, resources, and stories from youth that I have personally talked to. I hope that you all take this opportunity to learn a bit more about the runaway issue and if you or someone you know needs someone to talk to 1-800-RUNAWAY is a 24/7 free, anonymous, and confidential crisis hotline.

0 comments: