Hope at the Oscars

(Posted by Nick, '11)
“I think that it is a good time for those for voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren’s eyes if they continue that way of support. We’ve got to have equal rights for everyone.”
-Sean Penn, Winner of the Academy Award for Actor in a Leading Role
Watch the speech here:


“And it gave me hope. It gave me the hope to live my life. It gave me the hope that one day I could live my life openly as who I am, and that maybe even I could fall in love and one day get married.”
-Dustin Lance Black, Winner of the Academy Award for Original Screenplay
Watch the speech here:


This year’s Oscars were permeated by a sense of hope. It seemed like the message that President Obama promoted throughout his campaign directly affected the ceremony this year. Not only did Slumdog Millionaire, a film about hope, win Best Picture, but the winners for Actor in a Leading Role and Original Screenplay directly addressed the passing of Prop 8, and the hope that one day gay marriage will be legal everywhere. Sean Penn and Dustin Lance Black’s acceptance speeches urged California to reconsider its decision, and America to respect the rights of gay people and legalize gay marriage. Of course, the Kodak Theatre erupted into applause, as Hollywood is filled with social liberals. 36.3 million people watched the Academy Awards this year, which amounts to about 10% of the country. It is these people whom the message had to get through to—telling the people sitting in the theatre these things was like preaching to the choir. Interestingly enough, in a survey released in the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly, 46% of viewers thought Mickey Rourke should have won Best Actor, while only 37% thought Sean Penn should have. I wonder why. I hope it doesn’t have to do with the fact that Penn played Harvey Milk. I hope it has to do with the intensity of their performance.

0 comments: