McDonalds

(Posted by Loghann, '10)
So, I recently had kind of an interesting experience that made me want to write a blog post. This is more of a story than some sort of editorial piece, just be forewarned. Also, if you are opposed to fast food – specifically McDonald’s – for dietary, moral, or other reasons, sorry, but this particular tale involves patronizing one such establishment.

I don’t often go to McDonald’s, or to any fast food place, really. However, when I do go, it is my curious habit to get a kid’s meal of some sort, be that a Happy Meal, a Wacky Pack, whatever. Contrary to popular opinion, I’m not actually in it for the toys, I just like the smaller portions and the cheaper price. But I digress.

I was at McDonald’s the other day, the first occasion in a long while. (The few times I get fast food these days it’s at the Burger King over by Stop & Shop, Big Lots, and Kmart. I don’t drive, so when I need something, I walk up there.) I ordered a Happy Meal, and then the cashier asked me, “Is it for a boy or a girl?”

[Now entering into my train of thought.]
Wait, what? Why does it matter, is my hamburger going to be a different color or something? Oh, I bet it’s got something to do with the toys…um, does it matter? How am I presenting today? Do I look like a boy? Is she going to judge me for getting a masculine toy? Will she be confused? You doofus, you’re twenty years old, don’t you think she’s going to judge you more for ordering a Happy Meal than for the gender of the toy? Does she think it’s for me? Could I be ordering for someone else? It doesn’t matter what I say if that’s the case. What makes you think she cares? She probably just wants to get to the customers behind you. But really now, what a gender-normative question. It’s just silly, that’s what it is. Why not just ask which toy I want? You know, somehow I don’t think there’s anything she can do about it, so maybe you should just answer the question. Do I want a toy? Can I get a Happy Meal without one? Oh, for Christ’s sake just answer the question!

I literally stood in line and stuttered for several seconds before I said, “Umm…a boy?” She just smiled politely at me and processed my order.

I went back the table my friends were sitting at and expressed my bewilderment. They all seemed amused; surprised that I hadn’t known this was coming. Apparently McDonald’s usually offers gendered toys. Who knew?

This wasn’t a traumatic experience or anything, it was just surprising. I know I’m somewhat preaching to the choir here, but it’s just another instance of all this sex-is-gender-is-sex-and-they’re-both-binary crap that so many folks have to fight on a daily basis. Obviously girls want Barbies and boys want Hot Wheels, that’s the way it is.

This was in the line at McDonald’s, pesky, off-putting, and a little humorous, if anything. But there are so many other situations every day when one is asked to identify themselves as “M” or “F” and to also follow the social models assigned to this designation. For some of us it’s more than a little frustrating.

Just my rant of the day.

(Let it be noted here that I’m very satisfied with my Hot Wheels car.)

1 comments:

Alison said...

I always asked for the boy's toys when I was kids meal age. what could I possibly want with a barbie? it's pretty ridiculous.