QTalk

(posted by Loghann, '10)
Hey y’all, I think it’s time for another QTalk post!

So, first of all, thanks to everyone who commented on the last one! Considering the things you said provided the inspiration for this post.

The homework I had to get done this week is complete and break is looming (but in a pleasant way, certainly). It’s made me start thinking about everyone traveling home or to different areas that are not quite as “gay-friendly” as Vassar is. One of the commenters on the last post said, “I also don’t think that a lot of people realize how much energy and emotional strain it takes to go from being closeted to being out.” I think that this is really true, but I also think that it works the other way, as well.

Personally, I’m from Lee’s Summit, MO (pictured at right), a decently-sized city a little ways outside of Kansas City. While I am out at home, it’s still a culture shock every time I’m there for break. Sometimes I forget that people aren’t so used to hearing queer identity-laden comments spoken in normal tones in the middle of Blockbuster. Getting used to the funny looks again takes time, and in really uncomfortable situations I slip quietly back into the closet.

This October break I’m headed to Michigan with a friend of mine. I’m not sure what to expect there, but it will certainly differ from the Vassar atmosphere. I know many students who are out here on campus will step into the closet as soon as they get home, and that this is tremendously difficult for many.

So, what about you? Are you going somewhere for October Break? Will you be able to be out there? Why or why not? Have any specific “culture shock” experiences you’d like to share?

Here’s hoping everyone has a safe and healthy break! Don't work too hard!

0 comments: