Pride School Pros and Cons

(Posted by Eva, '12)
So I recently read that the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) are looking into opening an LGBTQ friendly charter school. I can't decide whether I like this idea or not. The school would mainly target queer teens, but anyone would be allowed to attend. One of the major purposes of the school would be to create a safe space for queer students, especially those who have faced harassment at their original schools.

The reason I don't know if I like this idea is that I kind of see it as a cop out. I feel like CPS, and all school districts, should work to stop bullying and harassment. I am afraid that if a queer teen is bullied at a CPS high school, they will just recommend that they go to the new LGBTQ school instead of adequately dealing with the problem at hand. Also, the school would leave out a large majority of the queer community and often those who need the most support: those who can't be out at home, whose parents don't know and can't know that they are gay. These students could never go to the new LGBTQ school and they need to have safety and support at their neighborhood school.

Yet, at the same time, I agree that a number of students would benefit from this school, especially those who are out at high school. Being out at high school can not only be difficult, it can be dangerous, and this school would create a safe and supportive place. So I guess I would say, create the school, but don't forget that problems of bullying and harassment are still a major issue that needs attention. As Emma Ruby-Sachs, a blooger for 365gay said, "If setting up a gay school will save even one kid from suicide, than it is the right choice."

**Update from Julie: Check out the CNN article about this here!**

0 comments: